The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] Re: Help me, Bob!

Bob,

I have to 2nd everything Donald said.  From what I've seen of WebTV, the
going in price is right;  but users get just what they paid for:  not much.
Not being critical here;  it serves well a need for a certain group of
people.  Certainly sounds like your ambitions are set higher & need more (of
everything).

The whole scenario you set up isn't completely clear to me, but I gathered
enuf to know that Netscape. latest free ver. is 4.7*, (on a different
operating system platform) WILL do what you want by way of organized
Bookmarking.  Then, for example, I copy mine periodically into a Word
document as a backup in addition to doing a REAL, occasional tape backup of
my whole system - of course, AFTER doing updates, scandisk, disk defrag.,
virus checking & general system housecleaning of many uneeded files &
folders Windows has a tendency to breed/cross-reference.

An email pkg. (I just happen to use MS OE) can easily organize handily in
much the same way.  Folders you name can be added to store readily available
"stuff" that you might want to quickly reference later or purge once the
usefulness falls by the wayside.  The bottom line is I guess that a computer
can only tidy up to the extent that the USER's mind is in good working &
organized order (chaos?).  What goes in, comes out.  These are dumb
machines.  You are the Master.

(I also line pics up under the C:\ drive in various creatively named folders
& subfolders for retrieval.  If you keep a hard copy, regular file cabinet -
which computers r supPOSED to eliminate - & IT's a mess ... so too will your
computer be.)

I'm no expert;  & any1 who CLAIMS to be is a fool (unless they do it FULL
time) - the learning curve is so large & there isn't necessarily a pot of
gold at the end of that rainbow.  What I'VE done over the past 3 yrs. or so
to the tune of over $ 3000, YOU can do NOW for less than $ 1000.  Is it
worth the investment?  That my friend depends on you.

Hope I'm not sounding too harsh.  That's not the intent.  What IS meant is
that I'VE had a VERY expensive education (the hard-knocks dept.) that I
DON'T mind sharing.

John - Steubenville, Oh.