The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] No need to rush....

In a message dated 7/12/00 7:41:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
gdunlap@corecomm.net writes:

<<  Me on the otherhand, I drive for a living and 200 miles is just getting
 started.>

Then you of all people should relax and enjoy the trip.  Who said, "It's not
the destination, it's the journey"... or something like that.....  remember
when you are full timing your home is with you...there is no rush to get
somewhere... you will have to stop somewhere every night... why make it 600
miles from where you were last night?  Some days I might only travel and hour
and I'll see a neat looking place and just stay there.  Also, if you are
driving fast you really are endangering yourself, your rig and the local
wildlife.  I almost hit a "Whistle Pig" today which would have ruined my
drive up to Glacier.... (I'm here now at the KOA)

 <<Anyway, can you tell me more about the exhaust brake.  I have read about it
 and understand that it helps when pulling trailers ?>>

I have the BD exhaust brake... I really love it.  It was terrific today
driving down the mountains.  I throw the switch when I start down a long
incline and get out of overdrive and rarely if ever have to hit the brakes. I
also had a torque loc installed which keeps the transmission from
overheating.  The simple reason for needing the brake is diesels don't slow
theirselves down when you let off the "gas" like gas engines do.  They stay
wide open.

The brake and tranny loc cost $1500.00 installed...well worth it I think.  In
my heart of hearts it sort of ticks me off to buy a $40,000.00 truck then
need to install one, but that's life.

<< How about your brake controller anything special ?>>

Nope, a Kelsey. I keep it lighter than I probably should, but the rig always
stops when I need it to.  I hate it when brakes are "grabby"

<< Enjoy yourself...by the sounds of your postings...you are enjoying life !
 Best wishes :-) >>

I'm having a ball.  This is the trip of a lifetime!!!

Hunter