The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] My Two Cents

After reading about 8000 pound trailers that require $50,000 tow rigs and $3500
Hitches, I can not withhold my two cents any longer.  Now we have brand new
trailers with the water tanks falling out, and soon we might have a
pre-paid legal service just for Airstream owners to take on the service
department. I feel deeply for anyone who has invested a significant
chunk of there life savings to travel in a tin can that wont hold water.

For anyone on the brink of buying a trailer I would like to share my story. Two years
ago I bought a 1972 Trade Wind for $4900. Everything on the trailer
works and works well. The roll up doors are cracking, but they don't Drag on the highway
when I travel. I pull the 4800 pound unit with a six cylinder ford van with a four
speed automatic. I spent about $200 for a transmission cooler and Brake controller.
That is all I have to tell, Less than $10,000 and no problems. Not everyone will
be as fortunate on the used market, but it is worth a look around before you buy.

                                                        Good luck which ever way you go!

Frank Streeks