[a/s] Moab Utah - June 8th 2000

Hi Gang,

Yesterday was see everything around Moab day. It started out hot and got
hotter.  Everyday here has been over 100... and a bit humid.  At least we
kept going up where there were breezes, but hot breezes.

I have connected up with a former listie, Don Emerson from Austin, who is
fulltiming in his '89 34' Limited.  We will be carvanning hopefully from now
til Bismarck... I really enjoy travelling with someone, seeing the sights
etc. (c:

First stop was Arches National Park.  It's obviously where all the old timey
cowboy movies were filmed.  Lots of desert ground, sagebrush and interesting
red rocks jutting up like stalagmites (tites?) in wild formations.  The huge
rocks had names like Court House and Jug Handle.  The drive through this park
took about 1/2 hour.  Including picture stops.

Then a quick trip to the Potash plant. Saw a dinosaur track and some wall
drawings. Didn't go past it to the 4 WD road.... I think I had seen enough
without beating the crap out of my truck.

Then after lunch at the trailer, on to Dead Horse State Park. Needless to say
I hate this name.  Seems some cowboy captured some wild horses and corraled
them there.  Beore he could get back they died of thirst. )c:  Not
surprising.  Oddly, this is on open range with cow crossing signs... and I
saw some cow poops on the road.  I asked a ranger how cows could survive in a
cat box (ok I didn't say it that way) and she said they are only here in the
winter and the ranchers have to cart water in to them.  They are moved to
higher ground in the summer.

This state park has a Grand Canyon feel.... the Colorado winds through the
canyon. The views are spectacular....

Then on to Canyonlands National Park, which is so near Dead Horse you are
seeing some of the same views from different angles.  This park looks even
more like the Grand Canyon. The canyon is so deep, you have to hang
perilously over to see the bottom. That was enough... I feel like I've seen
enough red rocks and red sand to last me two lifetimes....

Saw lots of cute things... like Kangaroo rats (which I thought were gerbils
at first) and little lizards.  The lizards are the same red/beige color as
the ground.... the only time you can see then is when they scoot across the
road. I need a bumper sticker... Warning: I brake for Lizards.

Of course I do have some souveniers of my visit.  Vinyl petroglyphs things
for the truck (or trailer) and a gorgeous turquoise necklace. (c:

Next stop?  Somewhere between here and Jackson Hole.... The next 2-3 dys will
be spent travelling.... Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and Cody Wyoming are the
number one places I have wanted to visit so I'm getting excited. I am looking
forward to getting back to green grass and mountains.  The dogs are too....
they want grass.  I did find a grass park in town for a quick game of Frisbee
last night.

No hope of Frisbee anywhere else.  There are horrible sticky things that
attack their paws.  Can't let them off leash in the desert because of all the
cottontails anyway.

Gotta go......

Hunter