[a/s] Concerned Airstreamer Speaks Out

Hello all -

I am getting a little concerned that the list is going to start turning
people off rather than turning them on. Glancing through recent messages it
would be easy to think that -

	Unless you have an extra $10,000 for solar panels you might as well forget
it
	Trailers explode and catch fire all the time
	If you don't have a $2,000 hitch you're a danger to yourself and everyone
else on the road
	Don't even try to tow a trailer (especially on interstates) without
spending $40,000 on a new huge truck

As many of you know I have a vintage Airstream Bambi. I tow it with a '92
Chevy Astrovan. My trailer is very light, but so are lots of other trailers
on the list. I have traveled pretty much all over the United States and part
of Mexico over the last few years (over 20,000 miles in the last 3 years). I
have never had problems with trailer sway, getting on and off interstates,
or climbing hills (though I admit that I'm not real quick on some of the 8
to 10 percent grades here in Arizona). I spent less than $300 on my solar
setup, and have boondocked for weeks on end with no problems. I have one
deep cycle 12v battery.

My real concern is that new folks - particularly those who are thinking of
buying an Airstream - will get turned off because they think it will be
prohibitively expensive. My entire setup - trailer, new refrigerator,
catalytic heater, water heater, solar panel and all the refurbishing that I
did - cost me about $4,000.

I don't really expect any response (and hope I won't get too many flames)
but this has been bothering me for some time.

Sherry Hayes
'63 Bambi, WBCCI 1104, VAC
http://www.primenet.com/~sheureka/Bambi.htm (got to update that website!)