Re: [a/s] heating element hot water heater

Re: complete replacement of a water heater in our 1966.....
my husband wants me to ask this question:
We had a mobile RV guy out to where our a/s is at a campground (we are
camping in her while I finish tax season) and he made it sound like we would
have to breech the outside to remove the hot water heater and put another
piece of skin over a new hole since the size of the new one is different than
the old one.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Of course, my dh says he
doesn't want someone messing with the skins on our Belle for no d... good
reason.  I didn't hear the conversation and we are not proceeding until we
get some answers.
Thanks
Crystal