Re: [a/s] Univolt replacement & Locks

Be careful, Mongo. I would be VERY reluctant to replace the univolt with
"any ac/de battery charger" if you intend to leave it plugged in and
working all the time (as I do).

A properly working Univolt actually regulates the DC voltage to a value
that charges the batteries to maybe 70 - 80 percent, but DOES NOT
OVERCHARGE. My 89 excella has been almost constantly plugged into AC for
the last two years with the same batteries with no overcharging or battery
damage.

Your _common_ battery charger is not so regulated. A properly working
"deep-cycle automatic" charger is more suited, and may actually work as a
replacement for the univolt, but I would test it thoroughly for
compatibility (expecially checking peak voltage) before using it routinely.

Jerry  W4UK