[a/s] New guy!

Hello from Canada,
I have just purchased my first Airstream and want to introduce myself.  My name is Greg Robertson and I live in Toronto, Canada.My wife's name is Brenda. I have an interest in old cars (street rods ) and my Airstream is an off shoot of this interest. I would like to take an extended vacation in the next few years to tour the U.S. / Mexico / Canada and want to get this trailer restored. I have just picked up a 1956 Caravanner 22' from near Lansing, Michigan.  It is in overall excellent condition with most origional parts, including all appliances.  It has had some minor changes that I would like to correct.  Maybe some one could help with information on how some items were origionally, as I can only guess at this point.  The front lounge? has been replaced with a dinette. I would like to replace this to near origional look, and would appreciate a picture of how it might have looked.  There was a divider getween the bed and kitchen that has been removed.  Anybody familiar with how this looked origionally.  Is this wood birch? or maple?.Was it origionally plywood? The origional toilet has been removed ( I have it ), origionally it looks like a long tube was hooked up to the bottom of the toilet to dispose of waste from the toilet.  Does anyone have experience with installing a holding tank/washroom set up in a vintage Airstream?
I would also like to polish this trailer myself.  I have some experience polishing out cars. Is there a method of polishing one of these and getting a reasonable job without puchsasing an expensive drum polisher?. What are the most appropriate compounds and methods? Suppliers?
Oh Yes, the plastic, side markers are really dulled, any replacements available for these?
Any help would be appreciated.
Best regards to all,
Greg.