RE: [a/s] Airstream Wax

Interesting post.

I haven't seen the damage you are talking about myself on an Airstream,
but I will venture a guess as to what is going on.  As paint (and the
clearcoat
finish found on most newer Airstream trailers is essentially a paint) ages,
it
is subject to assault by wind, water, sun, acid rain, etc.  Left untreated,
clearcoat will dull, fade, crack, yellow, or do any number of things
depending
on the conditions in your area.  This process is commonly referred to as
Oxidation.

The application of a good automotive wax is all that my Airstream manual
suggests
as a preventative step to avoid damage to the clearcoat.

To think of it as restoring "moisture" to the finish is a good way to look
at it.  Although
what you are really doing is putting a "blanket" over the finish to protect
it.

A good analogy would be a man stranded in the desert.  To protect his skin,
he must
either apply sunscreen or his skin will burn and crack.  The sunscreen
doesn't really add
moisture to his skin, it just covers his skin with a coating of material
that is less likely to be
harmed by the rays of the sun.  His skin (your clearcoat) remains
essentially the same, but
with a protective layer spread on top of it (wax or sealant).  As the
sunscreen dries out and
wears off, you need to apply another coating to maintain the protection.

FYI

Loren