Re: [a/s] gauges

You'd think so! I guess it's like I heard it explained, "If GM can save $1.00
on a piece of equipment, it adds up to millions a year" or to quote a former
GM bigwig "Parts that are left off don't break and don't cause any warranty
problems" (best I remember) But then, gauges are not of high importance to
people not doing severe service driving. (like towing trailers up long
grades) most passenger service vehicles make do with warning lights and I
frankly agree with that setup. When I drive my Toyota, I never look at
anything but the speedometer and gas gauge! Most pickups and SUV's are used
in passenger car service anyway. Kinda like a station wagon with a macho
image.
In my opinion, the essence of uselessness in a gauge is the oil pressure
gauge. (something for hotrodders to dress up their rides with?) Modern
engines have extremely reliable lubricating systems. I suppose you could
stare at the oil pressure for a couple of hundred thousand miles and watch
the pressure slowly decrease as the bearings wear out. The one "possible" use
might be if you had a sudden failure of the oil system, (highly unlikely) and
you happened to be monitoring the oil pressure gauge, (highly unlikely) you
could shut down the engine before major damage occurred (yeah, right!) Well,
just goin' off on a rant. as always, IMHO

Good luck

Jerry S.
dsrtquest in Las Vegas NV
70 Safari (desert camper)