Re: [VACList] Re: Free standing AC

Hi Patti-

Like Gary, I had a home unit in my front window that looked fine...but since
I go to Burning Man every year (a scorching 1 week event located in the
Black Rock Desert in Nevada that starts next month) yesterday I decided to
switch out my 5500 btu window unit for a 10,000 btu unit i found at Sears
(just did this yesterday).  It works great off my Honda EU200i (the wattage
is 1020 I think, but still no problem even when the compressor kicks in).
While ideally I would like a totally invisible solution like the closet ones
mentioned, this one is so easy and doesn't hurt the lines of the old
armadillo too badly.  The AC sits on a little wooden shelf that sticks out
the window, supported by two diagonal straps.  If I want to clean it up more
I might build a metal box around it that has a hinged door I can flap open
when I use the AC.  This would also protect the exhaust gills on the AC
during travel, although they seem to survive fine over the LP tanks and the
A frame.  Let me know if you want to see some pix.

Good luck,

Yosef
'67 20' Globetrotter
yos@L3i.com