Re: [VACList] Re: Free standing AC

Patti
Back a few years ago I was looking to do the same thing in a '66 AS. I
looked at every AS I could find, but mostly I was looking for one that
had a regular house type A/C unit and to get an idea for how to best
install it as for looks and from a practical easy to do way.
1.) I saw an A/C unit that was built into one of the benches of the booth
dinette. The exhaust was vented out the bottom thru an opening like the
one under the fridge. This looked to be the easiest and one requiring
less modification. The power to it was feed off the fridge outlet so it
ran under under the trailer and wasn't visible. The most work appeared to
be in making a square duct for the exhaust and installing it between the
belly skin and the floor. I would not have thought of this, but was told
that he'd done that as to provide protection while towing to the installation
exposed around the cutout. Made since then, keep it dry.
2) Another was installed on top/above the fridge. It was mounted right on
top of the fridge, the bottom of it was boxed in which covered the drip pan
which was made to ensure the condensation was actually draining to someplace
other than the floor. The exhaust was vented by a duct that was tied into
the fridge exhaust duct. To help keep the temp down in the fridge 2 fans
were installed at the bottom of the fridge exhaust to push the hot air out
the top.
3) The other had like a drawer frame that the A/C sat on in front of the
window. You had to open the window then slide the A/C unit out thru the
window. To fill the gaps on the sides of the A/C, styrofoam was sandwiched
between two pieces of aluminum which was durable but also provided some
insulation, these were held into place with some screen clips.
4) The last one was installed in a booth type dinette that was on the street
side. It sat on the floor much like the one described before. The biggest
difference was that the exhaust was vented out the side.
I didn't like it because of the hole in the side of the trailer. The others
seem to be better because they do not really alter the exterior appearance
and once they are removed the areas are pretty easily restored to the way
they were before.
Bobby
'73 Ambassador
Valdosta, GA