[VACList] Re: VACList Frame & underbelly pain & suffering

Gary Wrote:

I have decided after much deliberation to remove the belly pan of my 22'
Safari to completely remove and clean out all the badness that could
possibly be in there. This is in some way a confessional to Joann
Wheatley who replied to my earlier message that I had sent in where I
stated how great the original condition of my trailer was. Well it is,
and it is not. I did find two small areas on each side of the front of
the trailer where the floor was both wet and rotted and I almost forgot,
carpenter ants. While removing those sections it was easy to see that
the water had decided to travel across the frame and collect in the
belly pan. Wet matted insulation that has been redistributed by mice and
squirrel in that section made the decision to remove the pan not easier,
but the next thing that had to be taken on. This is when I discovered
why vintage happy hour starts so early! Trailer is jacked up on stands
and fortunately I was able to borrow an air driven metal shearer and
square cut out the entire bottom. After the first day of that it was off
to the paint store to buy a few tyvek overalls with hoods attached.
Latex gloves, respirators and enclosed eye wear safety glasses. But of
course nothing short of a NASA suit could keep the itchy and rust and
metal fragments out. High temperatures did not work well with these
suits as they do not breath at all. Frame exposed, floor is overall
good. Both front and rear frame rails are really rusted and will be
removed and replaced. I decided to remove the rear bumper also as it was
in the way and will sandblast it while off. So Joann,  fear not the
darkness for I suffer with you. I do actually FEEL your pain. Forgot to
mention the yellow jacket nest!
Gary Campbell
62' Safari
large box of bandaids

Gary you'll be glad you took the time to take the pan down and clean and
repair. As you can Imagine, now that you have seen what's in there, this
is the most common source of the odors that emanate from inside of all
these vintage trailers. When this is not done, it is why so many folks
get frustrated with their cleaning efforts. No amount of scrubbing and
deodorizing will get it out. My wife Linda has seen what I took out of
our 66 Trade Wind during its nearly shell off restoration. For this reason
I can't get her to go camping in our unrestored 63 Globetrotter, and its
in "usable" condition with a new frig and carpeting!

Looks like another project for me!

Good Luck!

Wayne A. Moore

VAC/WBCCI 15116