[VACList] old awning

Shari

I thought some pictures of this vintage awning might be of interest to you.
The link below is a picture from a 1969 Wally Byam Stores catalog.  This is
a fairly simple awning style with a rope (sewn into the awning) that slides
through the awning rail, with poles and staked ropes to hold it up. I have
seen this style of awning using a single horizontal outer top pole, and also
using three cross poles connecting the outer top pole to the trailer. The
poles slide through pockets sewn into the awning. I know a vintage trailer
owner who bought used poles (at a trailer salvage place) which he fitted to
his trailer. He then had a local canvas shop sew up a new cover using
Sunbrella canvas.  It looked and worked great - and probably cost more than
buying a new modern awning.  The Camping World catalog shows a simple
inexpensive A&E brand awning that looks somewhat similar.  I have not
actually seen one.
http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/awning6.jpg

This next link is a picture of the awning we found for our 1964
Globetrotter. Notice that it does not interfere with the door operation.
This style of awning  uses no guy ropes as it has a spring tensioned upper
frame that makes it rigid and square.  It is heavier and more complex than
the styles that use guy ropes.  It is made of cotton canvas and the stripes
are painted on.  We happened to find this awning at a garage sale, and it
was practically unused.  The owner had forgotten about it when he sold his
trailer years before. It is 10 feet long and we will have to modify it to
make it 9 feet to fit our awning rail length.  It will be lots of work to
shorten it and remake all the seams and grommets and such to make it look
like original. Solutions are where you find them....
http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/photos/pages/aP1010037.htm

Arlen & Shirley Manning
Napa California
http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/