[VACList] Re: VACList Digest V3 #244

My limited experience with a Ford F250 SuperCab 4X4, 7.3L turbo diesel is
that it wasn't worth it.
It cost more than a comparable gas truck.
A new (rebuilt) starter was $250 (I put it in myself), while a starter for
a 460 gas was about $35-40.
A fan clutch was around $250 while one for a gas engine was about $40.
When I sold it the injection pump was starting to leak. $1,000 to fix.
From what the friendly truck mechanic across the street had to say this was
typical. He thinks that unless a diesel truck is used a whole lot that it is
not cost effective.
In northern climates diesels are harder to get started, especially if they
are parked out of reach of an extension cord for the block heater.
Oil changes were 12-13 quarts instead of 6 for a gas engine. Filters were
$10 instead of $3.
The thing was noisy and stinky.
It did not have the mountain climbing power of a big gas engine either.
Supposedly the PowerStroke (electronic fuel injection) that came out the
next year has a lot more power. Unfortunately, according to the aforementioned
truck mechanic, they have a lot more expensive problems.
Just one person's opinion. Others just LOVE their diesels. In Oregon you can
fill your own diesel tanks instead of having to wait, and wait, and wait for
an attendant (self-serve gasoline is illegal in OR).
Al Grayson