Re: [VACList] Tow vehicle recommendation needed.

     Marv
     The Hummer would look really cool towing an' Airstream. It has the
horsepower to tow with the 6.0L, but I don't know what gear ratio you can
get with it. I think you'd want at least a 3:73 rear end gear. The specs
says it tow capacity is 6700 pounds, so your 25' Tradewind should be way
under that.
The only drawback that I see once you over look the price, is the short
wheelbase, which is 122 inches.
     Way to short for me. I have a shortbed Chevy K1500 4X4 which has a 119
wheelbase and was my primary tow vehicle until I got the wife a new Suburban
4X4 which has a longer wheelbase. The truck towed fine but on interstates
you can feel every seam in each concrete section you cross. Interstate 10 is
the worst, on a trip back from Texas I felt like Bronco Billy at a Wild West
Show, either that or I was still on the mechanical bull at Billy Bob's. The
ride in the Suburban is much better, we have been on I-10 twice since we got
it and the difference in the ride is incredible.
     I tow a 29' Ambassador, so I don't know how much different it would be
towing a 25' Tradewind. I would guess, not much. Yes the Hummer would look
real nice with a shiney (or even a not so shiney, like mine) Airstream
behind it.  But if I was going to pay around 50 grand for a tow vehicle,
then that sucker had better tow like a dream.
     The Escalade would be nice too, and you can get it in the ESV model
which has a 133.0 wheelbase plus it has a tow capacity of 7800 lbs. I think
you'd also save money on the Escalade -v- the Hummer.
     I'd go with the one with the longer wheelbase, but that's just my
opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Bobby
'73 Ambassador
'02 Suburban 4X4
'88 Chevy K1500 4X4