[VAC] Re: Holding Tanks - what plastic in '76?

Title: Holding Tanks - what plastic in '76?
Jim,

It would not be correct to call the task you have embarked on a "popular" job but it is a common job.  Last October my daughter and I removed the tank cover, black water tank, and fittings from her 72 27' A/S and I have been slowly working on the same job on a '66 Safari is am doing a light restoration on.  Also, Joy Hansen has just put his tank and tank cover back together in a '69 Safari.  Nick Novia has also done one recently and he knows a shop in CT that can "weld" your tank.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is very likely that, if you haven't already removed the tank cover and holding tank, a "small repair" to the vent fitting is probably not the extent of the problem you are facing.  In most cases, the rear frame may have sagged, or the angle iron cross-members which support the holding tank have rusted and allowed the tank cover and tank to sag, breaking the vent stub as well as the toilet flange or tank top.  Your holding tank cover may very well be rusted badly, as many older trailers are.

If you haven't already removed the tank cover and tank, I recommend you do so.  Then, once you know the condition of tank cover and tank, list members can offer additional advice.  It is possible to have your existing tank hot air welded if it is not damaged too badly and new tanks can be purchased.  Any tin bender can manufacture a new tank cover, and angle iron supports are simple angle iron cut to the correct length.  If the drain fittings are broken, it can get a little more complicated.

If you have already determined that your only problem is the vent stub, you are fortunate and can ignore my advice.

Good luck.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC