[VAC] Re: Full-timing

Jill, I'd be happy to reminisce, but you'd probably do better to correspond
with someone who's doing it now... on the 'regular' airstream list,
AirstreamList@yahoogroups.com, the list is moderated by one Hunter Hampton -
who full-times, travels with her pets, and manages a listserve from the
road...

That said; the last time i full-timed was in '93-'94... i was moving back to
the mainland from kona, and needed a pied-a-terre on the mainland... so i
found a '72 overlander and hauled it from the vacant lot where it had been
rotting, to an rv park a mile and a half down the road - pelican point in
half moon bay, california. I didn't have a suitable tow-vehicle, so it just
sat in the park.

The globetrotter period was a different matter... i wandered over the
continent for the better part of a year before landing in santa monica...
but this was 1977, and things are quite different now; I wouldn't presume to
make recommendations to a single woman fulltiming in 2001.

At present, i'm starting up an independent research program in association
with a lab at the university of nevada, reno, and our sister lab in
maynooth, ireland. at some point in the next couple of years, i'm probably
going to have to go there for months at a time, and your posts have prompted
me to consider sending my Airstream over to Ireland for the duration when
the time comes. Back in the '70's, i brought a number of cars over from the
UK to NY, but nothing as large as an airstream... i'm wondering if there are
any importation restrictions - or other considerations - which may apply to
US-originating vehicles coming to the European Union...

Although i'm refurb-ing a 1950 Willys Jeepster as a vintage tow-vehicle, my
pride-and-joy is a '99 purple plymouth prowler... i'd originally planned to
renovate the '48 Trailwind to tow behind it... but upon reflection, decided
it would be un-wise to risk both my babies like that...

Regarding the 'security' issue, on the road... i replaced my globetrotter's
doorknob with a Schlage deadbolt... there are some discussions on different
ways to install a deadbolt lock, in the archives....

My preference has always been to stay in rv/trailer parks... and if i were
to stay for more than a few weeks, some mobile home parks have smaller
spaces available for travel-trailers...

Generally speaking, I tend to be a little paranoid about 'boondocking' for
more than one or two nights by myself... and probably wouldn't unhook the
trailer from the tow-vehicle. I use the heuristic, 'how stupid would i feel
if....'

I prefer the 'safety in numbers' of the rv park, or the rally, and at the
same time the freedom to pick up and go if it turns out the folks in the
next slot are running a rolling meth-lab... (that actually happened).

Incidentally, If you're still looking for a trailer, definitely check out
Debbie and Michael Smith's '55 'Bubble'... it's really, really nice - i'd
snap it up myself if i weren't already over-committed.

Tuna
'48 Trailwind
WBCCI#8862, VAC
Reno, NV