[VAC] Re: Replacing shocks

Rob,

Yes, evidence of fluid leakage is a sure sign of shock failure.

I am working on a recently acquired '66 Safari.  When I removed one shock to
test its tension it seemed rather limp (after only 35 years!).  I began an
inquiry and was advised that an "Airstream " shock was priced at $40 at a
local dealer.  Even I know that Airstream didn't actually manufacture the
shocks, Airstream bought them from a manufacturer specializing in shocks.

The original shock had a Delco part number indicating a GM part but the
ancient part number would not cross to anything current.  A sharp young NAPA
parts counter salesman I occasionally patronize measured the compressed and
extended length of the original, observed and measured the mounting points,
and excused himself.  About two minutes later he returned from his backroom
parts bins with a pair of NAPA Gas Deluxe shocks carrying NAPA part # 94005.
Price: less than $20 each with new hardware and rubber bushings.  His
catalog indicated the shocks fit the front of '60s - '70s Chevy 1/2 ton
pickups.

The shocks are installed and are a perfect fit.  I have not towed the
trailer any distance greater than around the block when I pulled it out of
my shop to sweep up debris so I cannot guarantee the gas shock is completely
suitable.  I have however seen many vintage Chevy's converted from
conventional to gas shocks and the only difference was improved rebound
control.

Try C & G, North Dallas RV, Griffin in OK City, other long-serving Airstream
dealers, or Inland RV for the plastic (nylon?) hinges.  C & G is in southern
CA and advertises in the Blue Beret as do other A/S dealers.  Inland RV has
a website and specializes in hard or impossible to fine vintage parts but
you will pay a premium price.  Other list members will probably also answer
your question because several members live near and are very familiar with
the above sources and others as well.

Good luck on your restoration.  Have you joined the Wally Byam Caravan Club
International and/or the Vintage Airstream Club?  Both are great groups and
the VAC is a tremendous resource and support network for persons afflicted
with the vintage-airstream addiction.  A few months of participation on this
list is roughly equivalent to earning a bachelors in Airstreamism
(similarity to the word "extremism" intended).

Harvey