[VAC] 02/19/01 Monday - EEWCRC

Hi all,

Last week, we were busy getting ready for the "Exploring East and West of the Colorado River
Caravan." If anyone is interested, we could send our journal entry for each day. Some of it is
related to techniques we've learned on previous caravans, but not all of it. Here's a three day
sample, starting Monday, February 19th.

======

Today, we hitched up, said "Goodbye" to our 86 year old landlady and headed for the Yuma Fairground
10 miles away. Sandie and I are eager to begin this caravan and are looking forward to new
adventures. We'll miss this 1/2 lot, just four houses from the barren desert. The boom town
atmosphere in the Foothills area of Yuma has been an exciting and invigorating experience for us.

Our Van presented us with a new noise Saturday afternoon (after all the garages were closed for the
weekend). Undoubtedly, that will need to be solved along the way. Maybe it'll be something simple.
With the noise occurring randomly, I may not know the problem until it gets worse.

When we arrived at the Fairground, we were promptly parked. The Caravan Leader saw us make the turn
at the light and was waiting for us. It was a back in site where I could stand on the running board
with one foot, the other foot on the brake and accelerator, one hand on the wheel, the other hand on
the door and slip the Airstream into place on one try. I like doing that. It's my favorite kind of
parking. I can see everything and make corrections immediately.

The parking site is unusual. All Airstreams are under a massive, roofed cabana, complete with light
fixtures over each trailer. We'll have protection from the hot heat at noon time, but the absence of
sun on our solar panels for four days may mean I'll have to plug in the dreaded converter if our
three batteries need an assist.

At the general meeting this afternoon, the caravan leader introduced everyone by name and handed out
loose leaf notebooks with all directions, all general information and a novel format for compiling a
journal (much simpler than past caravans when the journal was a time consuming and arduous project).

During the introductions, we recognized several caravaners from the Hobo Rally two weeks ago in
Blythe. The variety of rigs range from trailers (brand new to our 24 year old) to motor homes and
one B-Van. The driver's meeting included directions to our banquet dinner tonight.

At Happy Hour, our group began planning the meal we'll be hosting during the caravan. This is going
to be a fun caravan. We like it when caravan leaders encourage caravaners to get involved and help
with social activities.

The banquet was held at Mandarin Palace. This was our first smorgasbord Chinese meal served family
style on a large lazy susan in the center of the table. Everyone could select what they'd like. We
tried everything and enjoyed all of it. But especially, we liked getting acquainted with fellow
caravaners who will be our neighbors these next three weeks.

Cabana lights were out at 10pm and we took the cue. It has been a long day for us. Rise and shine
will be before dawn.

More tomorrow,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net