[VAC] Re: Air Conditioner/Refrigerator

Jim,

It is possible to obtain a new Dometic refrigerator which is "approximately" the same size as the original but I don't think any of the new units are identical in size to the original.  Some cabinet refitting or tolerance for unsightly gaps will be required.

I have read R. J. Dials posts and also reviewed his quality website with technical articles describing his vintage refurbishment including refrigerator replacement.  I would like to repair my apparently (not determined yet) dead refrigerator as R.J. suggests but have so far been unable to find anyone who will repair it.  All the dealer mechanics I have spoken with advise replacement, even when not offering to sell the replacement.

If you obtain a Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com)
you can review the dimensions of their new Dometic offerings and compare them to careful measurements of your existing refrigerator.  The original size in my '66 Safari can be closely duplicated by a new Dometic RM2510.2 unit at about $750.

Harvey