[VAC] Re: Satin polish and clear coating

Oliver,

I haven't read any replies to your questions so I'll pass on the second hand
information I have received on the subjects.

I don't think you can duplicate the appearance of new trailers with old
skin.  I understand that A/S began using a different aluminum skin metal
many years ago which is the reason for the different appearance.

I had my '34 Excella whose finish began failing when it was less than two
years old stripped and refinished by P & S Trailer Service (recommended by
the factory) in February '98 then the top half stripped and coated again
(free of charge) in September '00.  P & S stood behind their work without
question or argument.

A/S has alternated between "new and improved clearcote", precoated aluminum
skin panels supplied by at least two different manufacturers, (currently
Alcoa) and from what I have been able to learn, none will last much beyond
the warranty in hot southern climates unless the trailer lives inside a
building.  Maybe the new Alcoa panels will??????   I have heard a dozen
explanations by knowledgeable folks but sadly, the bottom line appears to be
the finish will simply not hold up under baking sun and the extremes of hot
then suddenly cooling weather.

I have also been told that automotive products will not work on an A/S
because the aluminum skin expands and contracts significantly as ambient
temperatures change each day.  The clearcote product must remain flexible
enough to follow the skin.  Auto bodies don't flex as much.

Frequent waxings to keep the clearcote from drying is supposed to prolong
the life and prompt attention to bug splatters and bird droppings is
strongly recommended by the folks I have talked to.

I suspect frequent washing and waxing is the best and only treatment.

Harvey