[VAC] Re: OVERSEAS Caravans

In 1952 when I was born, my father drove 80 miles on a road that had
been paved with rocks with their pointy ends up, with my mother in labor
beside him, to Addis Ababa to get to the hospital.  He says he only was
skimming the tops of all those rocks!  What they could do for her in the
hospital that they couldn't do in Ambo has always been unclear to me,
with the only hint being the name of the hospital:  Fil Woha, which has
been translated to me as either "Hot Water Hospital" or "Running Water
Hospital," apparently after its most notable feature.  Anyway we drove
that road again in the 70s, and it is now asphalt, and all the rivers
that we used to have to ford by driving straight across them (which was
especially exciting in the rainy season) in our Army surplus Dodge Power
Wagon, now have reliable bridges.  Not that travel there isn't still
slow, inconvenient, sometimes frustrating, sometimes potentially
dangerous, and many areas are inaccessible to vehicles.  But isn't the
whole point of going there (wherever there turns out to be) to
experience what is unique about that place, and to learn about our world
and ourselves in the process?  Such a trip might not be for everyone, it
might not even be for me, but I don't think that means it's impossible
and/or not worth doing.  That said, of course it is important to know
about previous experiences, even the worst of them, in order to make
informed decisions and choices and plans and contingency plans and
backup and fall-back plans.  Clearly the original C2C trip was no
picnic, no point in anyone fooling themselves about that, and Bill's
reminders about what really went on are very illuminating, as would be
reading the book.  But just think of recreating that photo of the
airstreams fanned out around the pyramids, and of actually being there
in it!  Wouldn't that be worth something?  Maybe National Geographic
would be a sponsor, along with some camera manufacturer.  And probably
better get a tires, shocks, springs and axles manufacturer in there too.

Regarding vehicles, the vehicles of choice in the 70s were Land Rovers
(I don't recall what make) and Fiats, in addition of course to the
ubiquitous MBZ trucks.  Probably would make a lot of sense to consider
and investigate purchasing vehicles locally for ease of repair
purposes.  Also sending a scout to actually drive proposed routes (if
local guides aren't used) would be a good planning step.  The
experiences the Africa in a Beetle couple had with sand roads would be
important to know about; that could bog things down with trailers in
tow.  Maybe someone towing along a tar melter, a load of gravel and a
road grader would be a good idea!  Well that's probably a little
extreme.  But the idea is to be as prepared as possible and then prepare
some more.  Having someone(s) driving a vehicle with no trailer attached
so they could go back and check up on anyone who was delayed by repairs
could help alleviate the problems Jim experienced in Mexico, along with
having a plan for how they could catch up.  I don't think it's
hand-holding to make sure that no one is abandoned where they don't
speak the language, don't have help and have no way to get help.  In my
experience I couldn't see that happening in Africa, we found people
always genuinely friendly, helpful and very resourceful, but of course
there are rapacious people everywhere and always changing political
tensions.

Lastly from what people on this list have said, I can't imagine Thor
Industries would want to touch this project with a 7000 mile pole!

--Sarah