[VAC] Re: Refrigerator

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Refrigerator

To replace or repair a fridge is a difficult common decision.  From my
experiences, I'd recommend trying to save/repair the existing refer at
all costs for the following reasons:
• The new ones don't fit the old openings without rebuilding the cabinets. Changes in insulation technologies & design evolution drove the size changes over the years.
• Newer fridges are designed with planned obsolescence - plastics, electronic circuit boards, thinner metals, nylon hinge points, etc. You will not get 30 years out of a new fridge.
• Beige plastic is boring. Nothing beats the coolness factor of the enameled metals, aluminum frames, and the colorful clear plastics of the old units.

What to do if yours doesn't work? That's the easy fix. Replacement burners and coil packs are available. Most time it is a plugged or rusted burner. For the pilot/valve assys, modern units will work just fine.

New gasket seals can be adapted to fit, you just have to get one bigger and cut it down. If the damage is structural to the box or the door, then you're into trouble. Epoxy repairs might fix some small ones, but best bet is an older established RV shop that specializes in Fridge repair (yellow pages). Not only do they have the expertise, but often older carcasses and parts (shelves, racks, doors, hardware to fix up the cosmetic problems too.

Summary? A new fridge at $800 vs $300 for repair is false economy when you factor in the cabinet rework required to fit a new fridge too. Old fridges can be fixed, but you ain't going to be able to do it on the Internet. It will require finding, and traveling to an RV shop that will fix older fridges. This question comes up quite often, so I'll start capturing names of Appliance Repair places on the refer page of my website.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_refer.html

If anyone out there has used the services of a shop to successfully repair an older unit, please let me know the details. I'll start of the list later this weekend with the one here in San Leandro.

RJ
'65 Caravel