[VAC] Re: Batteries and Converters

Hi Jim,

I've tried to rely on the voltage across the battery terminals to determine
the charge state of my batteries.  To date, I haven't had any success.  In
fact, I've had a battery with a broken connection inside the battery that
still read more than 12 volts!  Just wouldn't take any kind of load.

I find many volt meters very sensitive to temperature as are batteries.

It's my opinion that the specific gravity of the cells are the only way to
tell the exact charge state of the lead/acid batteries.

Maybe the new digital volt meters are much more sensitive to voltage changes
and less sensitive ot temperature than my meter that is a decade old.  It
could happen just as I'm out of date many times.

With all this said, do  you know how the meter works on the control panel of
the A/S that is supposed to tell the battery charge condition.  Is is
strictly a volt meter?

                                                   Cheers, Joy