[VAC] Re: Air conditioner removal

Robert,

"Another inquiry...our unit also has a non factory installed Coleman Air conditioner.  Being from the north end of the country, and also wanting to restore this '75 Tradewind to its original condition, I'm not sure we really need an air conditioner.  How difficult is it to remove such a thing, and is it advisable?"

I'm clearly not the right guy to answer most of your questions but I will touch on the ones for which I have a little knowledge.  It is not difficult to remove the A/C if that is your choice but it might be nice to have on a future hot and humid day.  I installed one on the roof of a stick-built trailer in 1974 but never an A/S.  I think you can remove it by removing the interior trim cover and removing the bolts or nut that extend through the roof.  That is the easy part.  Getting it off the roof without it falling off when the nuts or bolts are removed might be a challenge.  My recommendation would be to keep it if it works and was properly installed.  If you are committed to removing it, maybe someone who has removed or installed one recently will offer advice.

"No doubt there's a fairly large hole on top of the Airstream which would have to be covered, in addition to the fact a portion of the room divider had to be cut in order to fit this Coleman unit in place."

Normally when an A/C is installed the roof is not altered.  An existing roof vent assembly was probably removed and the A/C inserted in the factory opening.  If the A/C is removed, you will need to locate a replacement vent assembly.

"Are there companies that can restore our Airstream to original condition, or would the factory in Ohio do this?"

Yes, the Airstream Service Department will be able to do just about anything you wish to have done and there are non-factory restorers located all over the country who will perform restorations for you.  If you live near Jackson Center and are contemplating having work done you might start by calling or visiting and speaking to the Service Manager at JC.  I assume you realize that a professional restoration will be fairly expensive.  If you decide on a private restorer, I would recommend asking for recommendations and experiences before you commit to spending a rather large sum of money.  You might have to provide your e-mail address in order that list members can reply privately.

Harvey Barlow