[VAC] Re: Batteries

Robert,
 Gerald gave you very good information:

If you use standard, wet-cell batteries and don't care much about their
life and/or usefulness (they'll fail just when you need them most), then
a standard converter will do just fine. If you're always connectected to
shore power, it is almost moot, as the batteries are nearly superfluous.

However, if you do occassional boondocking for a night or 2 at a time,
you are heavily depending on your batteries. They must be good, fully
charged, and not abused or they will be entirely unsatisfactory. It's
not an exaggeration to claim that a good charging system will double the
life of your batteries over a standard converter, plus it will bring
them back to fully charged much more quickly than the old-fashioned
converters. A popular option to a solar system is a small generator; run
it every day or 2 for a few hours and you're back in business. Well, IF
your batteries are good and IF you have a good 3-stage charger.
Otherwise, it'll require many hours of charging time to bring the
batteries back.

If you use a pair of "RV/Marine Deep Cycle" batteries, you're looking at
about $150.00 for the pair. Going from 2 years to 4 or 5 years of life
will pay for a replacement converter in just a few years. More
importantly, you can enjoy your stay away from the power lines w/o
worrying about no lights, etc. I've seen a friend fighting his system
while at a popular music festival; he has no fridge because of no power,
no lights, no water, etc. He runs his genset for hours on end, to little
avail.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much is TESTING your batteries.
They're kind of a black box, and it's hard to tell just what kind of
shape they're in until the lights go dim half-way into your first night
out. A battery load tester is a very worthwhile investment, not only for
your trailer, but for your other batteries. I make it a point to apply
my load tester to all of my vehicles' batteries in the Fall and replace
those that don't measure up. It's a lot easier than fighting the damn
things when it's 15 degrees, wind and snow blowing, etc. If you have a
pair of 12-volt batteries in parallel, it's a good idea to test them
when disconnected from each other; if one tests "bad", replace them
both, don't ever replace only one.

Everyone should have a copy of Barre's "Managing 12 Volts", it takes the
mystery out of the electrical systems on our trailers. Amazon should
carry it, but I got my copy from Camping World.

                                          <<Jim>>