[VAC] Re: Spare tire

I will give it a try after each question....

> I'm in the process of removing the aluminum surround in the under floor
> spare tire hatch.  I had two reasons for doing this.  First, the power
wire
> for my breakaway switch and tongue jack was damaged at the point it exits
> the "A" frame.  I couldn't get any slack and started tracing the wire.
> About 24 inches is exposed when I removed the curb side surround.  Still
> haven't found where it joins the break wires and returns to the recepticle
> that connects to the tow vehicle.  In the process of spending many hours
on
> my back with dirt falling in my eyes, etc., I've found symptoms that might
> lead to problems covered by the surround.

I am sorry that I didn't stay to see the job done.... When I arrived the
shop guys were working on finding where they had run a screw into the wiring
harness and messed up the tail lights..I have noticed that the wiring to my
breakaway switch looks like it has been worked on at some point...like maybe
a new switch or something...

> Where the tire mounting hindge is attached to the frame, the surround has
> been pulled down about an inch.  I suspect that the frame is damaged at
the
> attachment point of the carrier.  DID YOU WATCH TO SEE HOW THE ATTACHMENT
> WAS MADE?   I know I'll have to cut the surround away to determine if
there
> is a problem with my unit and how to make a fix.  DO YOU KNOW HOW THE ENDS
> OF THE SPARE TIRE BRACKET ARE ATTACHED TO THE FRAME?
\
No..( I am guessing screws, memory seems to think I saw holes for screws in
the short pieces that would hang down).... but I will crawl under there
tomorrow and try to determine what they did...The 78 frame that I have is
smaller than the later years and I think they were looking for all the space
for the tire that they could get.  I don't think the top is suspended 3/4
inch down...I got the impression they didn't want to give up the 1/4
inch.....The kit they used came from another RV shop because Airstream was
out of stock when I was at the shop... The shop said there were at least two
different kits.  A galvanized frame and a painted frame... the galvanized
unit was about 100 additional....

> With regard to the top surround that covers the floor, the spare tire
> bouncing has flattened the aluminum against the floor.  In fact, a prior
fix
> involved using screws to hold the aluminum against the floor.  Of course,
it
> should be suspended about 3/4 inch below the floor so the seams around the
> upper edge were stretched and damaged.  I want to install a 3/4 inch
plywood
> scab across the floor as part of replacement of rot under the water tank.
> need all the strength in th floor because the stress from the water tank
can
> be substantial.   DID YOU OBSERVE AT LEAST 3/4 inch for insulation under
the
> floor?   The floor brace is more important the the insulation. :)

As I recall the insulation installed with the kit on my trailer is quarter
inch foam sheet.  They asked me if I wanted to pay extra for insulation and
seemed to be suggesting that I don't put anything in there... I asked for
insulation because I did not want a cold spot where I roll out of the
couch/bed..It sounds like you might have the larger frame and a factory
install given the seams between side and top....(are these just lapped, or
roll lock like a tin can or something else??...)

> I note two things that might not seem important; however, I'm very tired
of
> repairing water damaged areas of my Safari that were caused by a failure
of
> the previous owners to caulk joints. :(
>
> The entire surround of the spare tire is a a perfect example.  This area
> will always have road water blown against the aluminum surround.  The
joints
> must be sealed against water seepage.  Not doing so invites both floor rot
> and frame rust.  My Safari hardly knows what caulk is!

The kit as it comes from the factory may have more parts than were included
in the kit used on mine.  There were no aluminum sheets supplied and it was
short at least one piece of trim that goes around the edges..( trim was in a
tube ) .. I do recall seeing caulking aroung the edges....I will check on
that tomorrow....The shop supplied the material for the sides and the
missing trim...

> Second, the spare tire mount for my Safari did not have provision to keep
> the tire from bouncing up an down in the "A" frame carrier.  The previous
> owner did stuff a folded rug above the tire to prevent the bouncing;
> however, the damage was already done.  I'm supposing that what ever
> insulation may have been installed had long ago been beaten into powder.
> DID A/S INCLUDE A STRAP OR OTHER MECHANISM TO HOLD THE TIME FROM BOUNCING?
> If so, I'd appreciate a description of the hold down apparatus.

I think the tire is just pinched between the installed frame and the
underside of the floor, but I will look for a hold down... I have not
removed the tire since the carrier was installed....I did give it a whack to
see if it was loose in the carrier and it seemed nice and tight...

> My Safari has considerable rust damage from water entering the underfloor
> area through the front trim strip/banana joint.   The bathroom floor
failed
> for the same reason.  The damage I see is a direct result of previous
owners
> failure to caulk the joints UNDER THE TRIM STRIP.  Guess the "out of
sight,
> out of mind" is true for A/S maintenance.

The need for good sealing should be apparent ... My street side wheel well
leaked badly when I ran in standing water... I had the shop seal up both
wheel wells at the same time they worked on the axles and the spare
carrier....They said I had cracks in both wells and I could see the patches
and the mastic they had used....They also suggested I give some attention to
the belly panels on mine...

> If  you can shed a bit of light on the several questions hidden in the
> dialog, I'd appreciate it.

I had the work done by Jr's RV in Findlay Ohio... 419-422-4239 and I think
you could call him for advice.  Jr was recommended by Henschen and I saw a
number of Airstreams in the yard that had come from far and wide to get
repairs and just winterized etc... A small shop run by a man and his son I
believe... I got the impression that he knew what he was doing and would do
it as right as he could...He fixed a bunch of little stuff on mine (like
remount the LP lines)  and just added some moneys for parts and labor...

Another suggestion would be a call to Airstream and ask for an installation
sheet for the kit...Here is hoping that one of the shops that have installed
this kit might jump in and give us some help...

>                                                        Joy

I don't have a digital camera, but if you think pictures would help, tell me
what you want to see and I will try to email them directly to you....-- it
might take a little while, there is still some snow on the ground....

Even with the potential for leaks, I really like the way the tire is out of
the way and still ready for use...

Have fun....

Jim Clark