[VAC] Re: Batteries under side couch

Hi Terry,

With respect to terms for common A/S structure, I've learned that the  frame
member that broke loose in your unit might be called an "out rigger"?  These
do not always line up with the frame members that bridge between the main
longitudinal frames.  The out riggers are placed specifically where there is
specific weight bearing need.  Like under the water heater or fore and aft
of the wheel well.

All this said, through my experiences of replacing substantial portions of
the floor in my '69 Safari, I've found that the upper structure, through the
inverted aluminum "U" channel that attaches the structure to the floor and
the out riggers provides considerable support for weight on the floor.  I've
found that the screws and bolts can be compromised by corrosion and no
longer provide support.  Once the integrity of the fasteners is compromised,
just rewelding the out rigger might not solve the problem for long.   Even
the rivets through the skin to the ribs or other structure that are
compromised due to corrosion reduce the weight bearing of the nearby floor.
It seems that the engineers planned the weight bearing capability of the
integrated structure very close to the limit.

Adding weight outside the main frame rails must involve adding one or more
out riggers under the floor area to support the weight of the batteries.

Spilled battery acid is very destructive to aluminum, bolts, screws,
plywood, etc.  Small spills that seem unimportant will do extensive damage.
Spilled battery in the rear of my Safari damaged the support platform of the
tub several feet away from the battery.  I'm sure that the battery acid also
contributed to what appeared to be floor rot  under he battery.

I'm considering the purchase of a small 1000 watt Honda generator to help
with electrical supply when necessary.  I've stood next to a unit like this
being used to operate a commercial cooker.  The sound of the unit running
was hardly perceptible.  Is using a small generator in lieu of many
batteries an impractical approach?

All my opinion and being new to A/S restoration and RVing can be taken .  .
.

                                                 Joy