[VAC] Penetrating Epoxy Resin Repairs and Dodge Transmissions

Jim,

We had a couple of warm days earlier this week and I was waiting, with my
eye on the thermometer watching for the mercury to touch 60 degrees as you
suggested, and my two quart cans of resin and hardener in my hands.  As soon
as the temperature reached 60 degrees Monday afternoon I mixed up half of my
products and began applying it to the rotted trunk floor in my vintage
trailer.  I used a box fan exhausting away from the work to remove the fumes
and had my rubber gloves on as you directed.  I had already installed a 1/4"
plywood bottom under the existing floor with Liquid Nail and was ready.

After the first coat cured overnight, I applied another coat Tuesday
afternoon and spread it over the entire surface of the exposed original
plywood floor.  It worked as well as you said it would and I am pleased with
the result.

Wednesday I cut a pattern first from brown wrapping paper, then 1/4"
cardboard and test fitted the cardboard over the existing trunk floor.  When
I got it trimmed exactly like I wanted it, I transferred the pattern to 1/4"
plywood and installed another layer of fresh, smooth subfloor on top of the
existing floor.  I used Liquid Nail again and a couple dozen wood screws
driven all the way through and protruding through the bottom layer.  The
plywood is now 1 1/8" thick instead of the original 5/8".  The additional
thickness won't cause a problem because the extra layer is only in the trunk
so I won't have a problem with differing floor heights.

Then yesterday I installed new vinyl tile flooring to finish the job.  When
the flooring was completed, I used a pneumatic cut off tool to grind off the
portion of the screws protruding through the floor and put a dab of caulk on
each.

I think the new/old floor will last another 35 years which is clearly longer
than I will last and certainly longer than I will need an Airstream trailer.

Thanks for your suggestions on the penetrating epoxy resin.

On the subject of your Dodge-Cummins transmission, it is sad that you have
had transmission trouble.  I have heard hints from the beginning that the
early Dodge transmissions were just not strong enough to stand up behind the
very torquey Cummins turbo-diesel engines.  Even a Chrysler employee who was
driving a brand new Dodge dually pulling a huge enclosed trailer loaded with
MOPAR performance parts during the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour across
country in 1998 told me that the Dodge automatics would not hold up in the
situation his company truck was being used in.

However, I would bet that the factory rebuilt transmission you had installed
probably included the various factory modifications and improvements that
became standard equipment in later model trucks and is now plenty strong
enough to haul your relatively light trailer safely.

The E4OD (electronic overdrive automatic) transmission in my '94 Ford
developed a torque converter lock-up chatter at 103,000 miles while towing
my 34' Excella on a trip to Connecticut in May of '98.  I took it to a
private transmission repair shop back home in Texas and the mechanic, who is
honest, gave me two estimates.  One was if the transmission could be
repaired with only soft parts, the other was the cost if the transmission
required a long list of hard parts.  The complete overhaul was going to cost
as much as a new factory rebuilt transmission and the mechanic said if he
was in my position, he would buy a factory rebuilt transmission from Ford
because the factory rebuild would include all the latest improvements and
modifications that result from warranty repair and replacement history over
the life of that transmission.  A local Ford parts counter rep told me the
same thing so I bought the factory rebuilt transmission.

The replacement worked great right out of the box and has served well for
another 32,000 miles in hard service including lots of towing miles.

I bet your replacement transmission, while it unfortunately cost as much as
new houses did when you were a young man, probably includes MOPAR factory
modifications and improvements resulting from Chrysler's warranty history on
the transmission in your truck and it will provide many years of service
towing your trailer.

My suggestion:  hook it up and tow it and enjoy it while you can.  We are
all getting older each day and every opportunity to travel and enjoy life
that we allow to pass is a day we will never get back.

Happy towing.

Harvey