[VAC] Re: Tekonsha Brake Controllers

My first trip out last summer, I spent a lot of time tweaking
sensitivity and pendulum resting position in my Kelsey Hayes pendulum
controller. I didn't seem to achieve a balance between trailer
contributing in gentle stops and trailer brakes locking in harder stops.
Then last fall I took another trip and drove ten times further without
touching and adjustments. The pendulum controller is not destined to be
perfect because if the trailer brakes really do contribute, that is
going to shove the pendulum further, a servo with too much gain. Makes
for difficult control. Unlike Tekonsha, the Kelsey Hayes pendulum
controller has a slider button for adding more brake gradually and if
its remotely located, an optional plug in button on a wire. I think the
condition I have come up with is one where the trailer brakes are
balanced for a normal flat land gentle stop, and I reach for the
controller if more trailer brake contribution is needed. I mounted the
controller right behind the steering wheel on the right hand side of the
steering column in my F-150 (where the shift lever would be for an
automatic transmission). This more approaches the technique in my former
truck where the old hydraulic type controller wasn't connected to the
truck brakes, just depended on the driver's skill in balancing truck and
trailer brakes, and I think worked well. I think I'm smarter than a
computer or pendulum that can't see the slope of the land, the road
surface, and the impending doom if the stop runs long.

My K-H controller encourages manual operation. Tekonsha discourages
manual operation.

I would prefer the hydraulic pressure driven brake controller if the
truck brake system would accept it. Manual trailer brake enhancement is
second best but better than depending entirely on the pendulum as
Tekonsha would prefer.

The other alternative to the pendulum based control is one that delays
trailer brakes a bit, then gradually increases trailer braking with
time, according to nothing more than the brake lights being on. I
suppose it can work, if one uses a standard stop length each stop, and
doesn't care if stops go long going down hill or if one has to play with
the brake pedal releasing the brakes to restart the ramp of the trailer
brakes while going down a long steep hill that requires brakes the whole
way. I don't like the idea of delay, nor constantly changing braking.

Gerald J.