[VAC] Re: Bambi II light covers

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Bambi II light covers
If they are the ones that look like this:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/myrtle_tour_details2.html

Inland RV (http://www.inlandrv.com) had some
last time I saw one of their parts lists - don't know if they were new
old stock or a reproduction.

Some alternatives exist.
One is to get some opaque acrylic or polycarbonate plastic (http://www.tapplastics.com or
local store near you) and make a mold from wood using the old piece as a
pattern. Stick it in the oven and drape the piece over the mold. With a
few gentle pokes it will take on a crude shape of the original. Expect
to make many "prototypes" before getting one right. Krista & I take
this one step further and use a shop vac and screen wire to accomplish
rudimentary vacuum-forming. It is a pretty comical process to watch.

Another alternative is to have a shop make some up - our phone book has
4 local places that do plastic forming and vacuum-forming (including Tap
Plastics noted above). They usually have a minimum quantity though to
justify the mold and production run.
Which brings us to the last option.  Contact Steve Hintgen at
AirstreamDreams.com, or try Inland RV, and see if they would be
interested in having them made. They were used from the late '50s to
late '60s, almost 10,000 trailers, so the demand is out there.

There are fluorescent light assys that are similar in size to the old
Grimes 12/110v lights that can be used either temporarily, or
permanently if you don't mind camping by florescent lights.

RJ