[VAC] Pop Rivet retraction

  A few days ago in a message about Vulkem I made the statement that pop
rivets left a hole down the center and thus  advisable  to seal this
hole to keep moisture from entering.  I was  wisely reminded by another
list member off line that this is not so.  That the nature of pop rivets
is  there is   ball at the end of the mandrel (shaft) of the pop rivet
and, when the rivet gun is activated,  it is pulled into the interior of
the rivet, thus spreading it out to create the holding power.  At the
same time this ball plugs and seals the hole.  My original opinion was
mislead by  my observing the pop rivets used on the interior panels of
the '56 Bubble A/S I have been rebuilding.  These pop rivets all have  a
distinct hole in them and do not use/have the "ball" feature. I had not
really observed how the current pop rivets  functions until I was
reminded and observed them    today.   There may be some pop rivets out
there that are same as the ones original used on my unit but they are not
what you find on the hardware store shelves.

Roy