Re: [VAC] help!!! GVWR?

Greetings Marlaine!

The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum amount that the Yukon
was designed to handle between the weight of the vehicle and its contents -
- it really doen't tell a great deal about trailer towing ability.  What
you are concerned with is the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating)
- - this is the maximum amount of weight that the combined unit (Yukon and
trailer can weigh without violating the manufacturers specifications)- -
this information should be on the same data plate or on a similar plate
under the hood.  The simplest means of determining trailer towing capacity
is to stop by your GMC dealer and ask about the capacity of your Yukon - -
your dealer should be able to make this determiniation based on the
"broadcast" code sheet that is usually attached inside of the glovebox - -
I suspect that you will find that the trailer tow rating is somewhere
between 3,500 and 5,000 pounds depending upon which of the three
differential ratios was specified.

The type of hitch used (as long as it is of an equalizer type) does not
influence the wieght carrying ability of the tow vehicle.  According to my
understanding from the literature, video, and a discussion with a sales
representative - - the primary benefit of the Hensley Arrow system is that
it is designed as a system that includes both load equalization and sway
control in one integrated package - - it increases safety, but not trailer
towing capacity of the tow vehicle.  In my experience, violating the
manufacturers trailer tow rating for a vehicle is asking for trouble - -
brakes, transmission, differential, bearings, engine, - - not to mention
questionable performance.  I will admit to being very cautious about
trailer tow ratings after having been in an accident with a marginal tow
vehicle (my first brand new tow vehicle in 1982) that was caused when the
trailer began to sway after being passed by a series of six semis on a
narrow two lane highway (the trailer was equipped with a friction type
anti-sway device adjusted according to the macnufacturers directions)- - my
tow vehicle didn't have enough power to pull the grade and accellerate out
of the sway condition which resulted in a 360 degree skid in the middle of
the highway - - fortunately all traffic was able to stop, there were no
injuries, and the only damage was to the trailer (not an Airstream)
undercarriage and bumper guards on the tow vehicle.

Yes, before towing a trailer with a Yukon without the heavy duty factory
towing package you will need to get a minimum of a transmission oil cooler,
trailer brake controller (pendulum type is usually recommended as the type
that taps into the hydraulic brakes on your Yukon could pose a safety
hazzard by interfering with the anti-lock braking system), and a platform
type hitch receiver.  You might also find that you will need heavier shocks
(especially in the rear), you may find that you need to upgrade tires
(higher load rating) on the Yukon if the base tires were ordered and an
engine oil cooler certainly wouldn't hurt either.  You will also find that
you need (exterior) mirror extensions which can be VERY difficult to find
for the Yukon/Suburban with the electronically controlled exterior mirrors
- - I found mine through a local RV dealer (not Airstream) who special
ordered them for me - - Camping World now carries the same style mirror
extensions (clamp on over the existing mirrors and when properly installed
do not damage the finish on the mirrors).  A side benefit that is possible
with the Yukon Vintage Airstream connection is that you can use your
interior rear view mirror to navigate - - opening the front and rear
curtains in the Airstream and securing the center aisle doors in the open
position allows you to see through your Airstream and observe what is
approaching directly to the rear of your trailer.

I hope that your investigation finds that your Yukon is up to the task - -
traveling with a Vintage Aristream is an exceptionally rewarding
experience.  Good luck with your investigation!!

Thanks, again.

Kevin Allen
Livingston, Wisconsin
1964 Airstream Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
WBCCI/VAC#6359