Re: [VAC] North to Alaska -

Sherry:

This last summer my wife and I did our 4th Al-Can tour as we moved from Alaska
down here to Colorado.  Those roads continue to get better and better...'cept
for the ones in Alaska, it seems.

Four Canada crossings (eight border crossings) and we never ever had a problem
with customs.  I knock on wood every time I think about it, because I have some
friends who've had horror stories you wouldn't believe.  First time I crossed I
got the rules from AAA--it was worth the $100 or so I paid for the membership (I
suppose it had to be--later on, when I broke an axle in Tok, they wouldn't help
me much at all).  Pets must have current clean-bills-of-health from a
veterinarian, complete with vaccinations.  Don't take any guns.  Limit your
booze and/or nicotine products to perhaps a few partial bottles and at most a
carton of cigarettes.  Be nice to the customs agents.  Have at least $2000 in
cash or credit available when you enter.  Pray.

Through Canada pointers--use your credit cards as much as possible; you'll get a
better exchange rate than directly at the merchant's cash register.  Don't take
the Cassiar highway--looks like a shortcut on the map, but it's a pretty rough
road without much for services and, frankly, the scenery's not worth it.  Once I
get my web page up (Finally finished my first semester of grad school, so I may
have some time now....) I'll have some pointers on nice places to stop.

Tons of cool places to go in Alaska.  Since they opened up the haul road as a
highway you can even drive up to the north slope.  Feel free to write me
off-list for more specific suggestions.

Stephen