Re: [VAC] North to Alaska -

Hi Sheri!
Alaska huh!, Go for it!
My wife and I went up there this summer. We were only able to spend a week
and a half in the state, but at lease half of the fun is in getting there!
We would go back in a heartbeat. Sounds like you are planning on the whole
summer!? If so, great, you will be able to see and do so much more than we
did. The paved roads in Canada were in excellent shape (they don't seem to
patch the road, but to tear it up and start over) when you run into
construction areas the delays will be minimal, but there will be a lot of
dust or mud! Take your time, the further north you go in Canada you will
find that the people get friendlier and friendlier. Almost everyone you meet
will want to strike up a conversation with you, to make sure that you are
enjoying yourself. If you are up for an adventure, pack a tent with you and
take the Dempster highway to Inuvik NWT. (There is a campground  that will
store your trailer for you.) Inuvik is an Eskimo village near the Arctic
Ocean. 24 hour daylight. If you get there the right time they have a First
Nations art festival that is well worth the trip. Good food and good
entertainment. While there I would highly recommend taking a plane up to the
village of "Tuk" and the Arctic Ocean! I do not however recommend that
anyone take their Airstream down the Dempster highway. It is a 500 mile hard
packed gravel road with 2 ferries. When we did it with the car, we were
traveling from 30 to 70 mph). It can be done, but requires much patience,
and a slower pace than everyone else will be traveling. The main problems
being the stray rocks (read broken windows) and the ferries (rough
entrance/exit areas). Resist the temptation to go fast and you won't be
needing your spare tires!
Most of the Alaska highway is well paved, much straightened over the years.
Alaska itself was beautiful. The glaciers were stunning. We Americans are
not quite as good as the Canadians when it comes to the paved roads, but
they are still quite good, just some frost heaves. Be sure to take
glacier/wildlife cruises at both Valdez and Seward. The town of Homer was
also a favorite place. There is a campground in Homer out on the edge of the
spit. Gorgeous! I would of liked to take a ferry out to Kodiak Island, but
ran out of time. Also took a tour of Denali Nat'l Park. Saw all sorts of
wildlife and got a rare glimpse of Mount McKinley. You can't drive into the
park, must take a tour, or a shuttle. There is one campground several miles
in that you can drive to if you spend a few days there-call for
reservations. Off the paved roads you will find much to look at. The towns
of Eagle and Chicken for example (read the book "Tisha" for a heart warming,
real life story). Just don't plan on getting there fast. At times the roads
are good, 50 mph, at others 10-15 mph. We did not have much of a problem
with insects, it just depends on the time of year and the weather. It can be
horrible, or no problem at all. Temperatures vary (30's to the 80's). So you
will want summer and winter clothing.

I must end now, gotta get to work!

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander - which REALLY wants to go to Alaska in 2000!