Re: [VAC] A new trailer

Hi Dave,

You've read the replies about no traveling with waste liquid in
your holding tanks. That should be considered non-negotiable.
The same goes for carrying weighty items in the bath tub.

If it was me and I liked the trailer enough to predict I'd keep
it and use it extensively for all my traveling, then yes --
I would give a lot of thought to reinforcing the frame. Doing
that can only make a good Airstream into a better Airstream.
Our 1969 27' rear bath was an excellent size for traveling
anywhere. We towed it over almost every road in Alaska
during the Summer of 1989. Our frame had been reinforced by
the factory when it was new. They knew about the potential
problem five years before they manufactured your Airstream.
That should tell you something.

Incidentally, if you ever see a new curve starting to form
on any of the flat panels, deal with it immediately. Your friend
Ben Franklin said something about a stitch in time saves nine.
That applies to Airstreams also.

It sounds like you have a fine piece of equipment. Track down
all the leads you can find about frame separation. Once your
book learning expertise is current, you'll be taken seriously
when you start asking questions at any Airstream dealership.
And, oh yes, by the way, not all Airstream dealers are created
equal. Some are very good at installing the reinforcing plates,
even though all of them may have the bulletins and all of
them may tell you they can do the work.

On a different topic. Previously, you asked about decorating
your tow vehicle van with small Christmas lights and using
your 12 volt system for the power. If I wanted to do that,
I'd use my small 300 watt inverter, plug it into the cigar
lighter and plug my lights into the inverter. Keep it simple.

Terry #6477