Re: [VAC] catalytic furnace

Hi Jim and Linda,

There are many ways of dealing with grey water.
After trying several and finding them satisfactory when in a
campground, I realized we didn't have a good solution when we
were traveling and stopping for lunch at an Interstate Rest
Area or at a big supermarket parking lot, or -- while waiting
in a repair service area for our turn to get service or when
temporarily parked in a relatives driveway.

My goal was to invent a way to conveniently hold grey water after
washing up for lunch or after lunch clean-up. The bells rang when
saw where Airstream factory had installed their connector for the
waste water hose. It was directly inside and forward of the rear
bumper compartment.

First, I purchased a 6' long, 3" diameter piece of PVC pipe and
installed it (hung it) behind the rear wheels. End pieces were
made up from scrap wood and fitted in place with simple locking
devices. The sewer hose would no longer be carried in the rear
bumper compartment. This would be the place for carrying the
6' sewer hose from now on.

Next, I purchased a PVC elbow to fit over the hose adapter from
the waste water connector at the center rear of the trailer
frame. Then, a three foot +- piece of PVC pipe was glued to the
elbow. It was routed across / inside the rear bumper compartment
to the main frame, where I had my welder friend cut a hole the
correct size for the PVC pipe to slide through the main frame. A
sewer hose adapter was glued onto the portion of PVC pipe
outside the frame. That's where I now connect the sewer hose.

Bottom line, the PVC pipe inside the rear bumper compartment
can hold the equivalent of a couple gallons worth of grey water.
Emptying it can be done quickly with a pail, day or night. Anyone
observing us can see we are careful with waste water. This is
different from letting it drain onto a parking lot surface where
anyone may walk in it or through it.

Terry & Sandie #6477