[A/S] Re: tongue weight and suspension

Hello and thanks Oliver, Daisy and Matt-

I looked at the GVWR tag on our Airstream- 7100 lbs. I have not done
any heavy remodels, and I can't imagine removing 1,100 lbs of stuff. We
are not that heavily loaded, but we are full-timing.
I also looked at our hitch- an OEM class V with 10,000 lbs trailer
weight and 1,000 lbs tongue weight, so I am a bit over. I suspect the
two AGM batteries I added (replacing one deep cell) in the front has
something to do with it. Though moving them more amid-ships would be a
major ordeal.
I do need to find an opportunity to re-weigh, as I'm not entirely
confident in the grain scale.

Daisy- you are remembering correctly that the bed of our truck is
packed. It's a short bed with a bed slide; the front 2' is full of
(heavy) tools and the back is full of bikes. However, when I'm not
lashed up the truck sits level, exhibiting no squat at all.

Oliver, I think my first effort at correction will be to lower the ball
height and in crease tension on the sway bars...?

Matt, your F350 has heavier suspension than my F250, correct? F250's
are 3/4 ton, and F350's are 1 ton I believe. Where in the suspension is
the difference- leaf springs, shocks, or trunion springs? I'm not sure
I know what trunion springs are..

FWIW, I think the truck used ride level when lashed up. At least more
level than it does now. I wonder if the heavy tongue weight has caused
some element of the suspension to soften..?

Cheers,

Chris