Re: [A/S] Thoughts about tires

> Along with the previous discussion on tires, I also consider what
> happens when one tire goes.
>
> I once had a 5th wheel trailer that had axel weight of 10,000 lbs.
> It had 15 inch wheels and at the time, Goodyear load range D tires
> were the strongest I could get.  They were rated at 2,500 lbs max
> each.  That was just adequate for the weight they carried.  My
> strong concern was that if one tire was to go, the second tire on
> that side was suddenly carrying much more than it could and would
> most certainly go also.

Last week I was following just such a 5th wheel down hwy 281 in central
Texas and
witnessed  such an event from the rear. A tire flew apart suddenly and
before the
driver could stop the other tire on that side blew up with a tremendous pop.
I went on
by but I am sure the damage was extensive, that section of 281 has little or
no shoulder
to pull off on. Unfortunately for my '89 29ft Excella the spare load
capacity is not available
as far as I know, blow one tire and the remaining one on that side is
overloaded by 5-600lbs,
not as bad as your 5th wheel example but overloaded still.

Steve