Re: [A/S] Hybrids as tow vehicles

>  Makes one wonder how deep the wonder lust runs when it costs so much to take a trip.
> I am new to all of this and can justify the cost of a trip, but I have that in mind when I make my plans.

We always are amazed when people express concern about the cost of a/s'ing.  We have to keep careful records, and in several years of traveling we always
have found we spend much less money when we are on the road (months at a time) compared to when we are housebound.  I believe that in the past Terry
Tyler has expressed similar observations.

> I am totally amazed at how little propane I have used.
> I bought my Bambi in September and only bought 3.9 gallons of propane.

Exactly our experience.  Over several years, we consistently have bought about a tank (30#) a month -- mostly for running the fridge 24/7.

> I was amazed at a recent rally where
> a lady with the same coach as me was able to run her whole life off of solar panels.
> We are talking internet, tv, charging her cell phone, and all the rest.

There are several listees who report the same experience.  While we ourselves have not yet gone to solar panels, the principle barrier has been the ready
availability of commercial power in nearly all the places where we stay -- that and the fact that my laptop has an oversize screen and thus is comparatively
power-hungry.

A/s life is remarkably sparing of resources -- not merely power and propane, but even water.  For example, for several years now we have supplied our water
needs  (that is, drinking and dishwashing) with about a gallon a day of bottled water, and an equal amount of tap water for our two large dogs to drink.  This
compares with hundreds of gallons when we are housebound.  And the purchase price of our coach was only $5K.  In fact, when it comes to resources, the tow
vehicle is the only downside.  I suspect that if everyone a/s'd, global warming would be a lot less of an issue.

          -- Lew #4239

'72 Safari
Currently housebound.