[A/S] Towing a 30' - 31' Airstream Classic

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about fuel consumption while
towing a 30' or 31' AS Classic with a 3/4 ton GMC Yukon XL with the 8100
Vortec engine.  Here is some follow-up:  Within the last week I have spoken
with GM representatives who said that the 8.1 liter engine will not be an
option starting with the model year 2007 Yukon.  Fuel economy was the reason
they gave.  They suggested that I could buy a model year 2006.  However,
that would solve the problem only in the short run, not in the long run when
we want to replace the 2006 Yukon.  We don't want to tow with a pick-up
truck.

Is the era of the large, heavy travel trailer nearing an end? Where is the
RV industry headed?  What are Airstream's long-range solutions?  Since GM's
8100 Vortec engine also powered various manufacturers' gas-powered
motorhomes, what does the future hold for those products?

Ron Lawrence