RE: [A/S] Fuel consumption

I tow a 32 foot Excella with my 99 8.0 litre V-10
Dodge 4X4 and I get 7 to 9 MPG towing at 60 to 70 MPH
with cheap regular gas.  I get 8 to 11 solo depending
on speed, terrain, stop and go, wind, etc.  I would
think an 8.1 litre GM would be about the same.
Diesels do have some advantages, as do gas engines.
Initial cost is less on the gas engine, which savings
can be amortized over the life of the vehicle.  Fuel
mileage is worse, but regular gas is usually cheaper
than diesel which ameliorates that a bit.  Engine and
fuel system components are cheaper to replace and
maintain on gas engines, but diesel engines may go a
little longer between overhauls, though that advantage
has dwindled as diesel power output and engine
component stress has risen and gas engine quality and
cleanliness due to emissions and computer controls has
risen.  200,000 to 300,000 miles or more is now easily
possible on a well maintained gas engine.  I also
enjoy the relative quiet lack of odor of a gas engine,
though I think that's just a personal preference.
Enjoy shopping!
Guy