[A/S] Re: First Experience Towing the Bambi

> My tow vehicle is a 2005 GMC Sierra, short bed, short cab, with 5.3
> litre V8, auto transmission, and 3.23 axel.  Unloaded, this truck is
> smooth, powerful, and with horsepower in the high two-hundreds, quite
> fun to drive.

My first trailer and truck rig was a '77 GMC 1/2 T and 24' Argosy.  I
did some work on the engine (exhaust, carb, etc) and as you say about
yours, it seemed to have the power I needed for that trailer and the
mileage though not as good as yours, was good for those days.

I was traveling in the east and generally had no problems, but when I
got to the eastern mountains, that was another story.  Fortunately, I
had added a transmission temp gauge and on the hills, though it seemed
to pull pretty good, the trans overheated badly.  The similarity was
that I also had a high gear ratio rear end.  So, on the long pulls,
the engine was ok but the tranny took all the strain.  For you, a 3.73
rear end would probably make it feel like the Bambi isn't even there,
but you'd lose economy.  The 3.42 would be a good compromise.  It will
cost a few $$$ but as new as the truck is, it may be a good investment
if you are going to keep it several years and plan to take the trailer
into the hills.

At the least, I'd recomment that you have a temp gauge installed in
the Tranny.

Lew