Re: [A/S] Re: Acura MDX as Tow Vehicle

> Is your feeling that the Expedition and other similar sized vehicles are not suitable for
> towing a 23' A/S?

Not at all.

Actually, some Expeditions can be equipped to tow as high as 9000 lbs.

The Ford Expedition is a whole lot more truck than the Range Rover and
you can't really compare these equally. I'd still shy away from the
air-suspension option on the Expedition, as I mentioned before. An
Expedition has the famous Ford fully-boxed frame, and *is* suitable for
use with a load-leveling hitch. You'd have to evaluate the power and
gearing in any potential tow vehicle model, especially if you were
contemplating using the rig in hilly or mountainous terrain.

As for me, I'd still like a bit more wheelbase, as the difference in
handling can be significant. I don't like any instabilities in handling.
I have driven in high winds (even snow), and know that I'll be
blown-past by 18-wheelers fairly often. A shorter wheelbase vehicle
demands constant attention to maintain control at times, and in worst
cases, sway resulting in accidents can occur. Special hitches like the
Hensley can offset this to a degree. Short vehicles drive like they're
hunting all over the road because of motions transferred from the
trailer to the tow vehicle.

Most of the cute SUV-type vehicles are really marginal for towing these
days. It's too bad because they have some really nice uses off-road.

If you've ever felt a sway start, you'll never forget it. And, it's hard
to remember to do the right thing. Practice of the motions is important
(not the sway.) You'll probably be tired when it happens. You may have a
less than ideal brake controller. Whatever brake controller you have
you'll probably have a hard time finding the manual activator. But to
get out of it, you'll have to apply the trailer brakes alone, and then
try to gently accelerate out of the sway, to pull the rig straight,
against the drag of the trailer brakes. Your first thought will be to
brake both vehicles, but if you do, it's likely all over. More than
likely after successfully ending the sway, you'll be lookin' for a
longer wheelbase tow vehicle. That is, after someone pries your fingers
from the death-grip you'll have on the steering wheel.

Vehicles I *don't* like based on having personally owned them:

Mini-pickups for anything longer than a 16-foot trailer: Toyota Tacoma,
Ford Ranger FX4 series. Though these do a barely acceptable job with the
real short trailer. I'm still working on coming up with a good off-road
rig with the short trailer.

SUVs for longer trailers (used on my 24): Jeep Cherokee(bad), Jeep Grand
Cherokee(bad), Chevrolet Tahoe (with towing package, marginal but
acceptable), Chevrolet Astro Van (bad), Ford WindStar (forget it), Ford
Explorer (bad).

Stuff I like: Ford F-150 (not bad) F-250 Super Cab (Great!) F-350 Crew
Cab (my current tow vehicle, great but a little long for my liking. It
rides like a dream though. Trailer, what trailer? Were those mountains
we just passed? Sheesh, I thought we were gonna slow down a little.)

What I am getting next: F-250 Diesel Super Duty with Super Cab and the
integral brake controller.

If you're dead-set on using a shorter wheelbase vehicle, make sure you
have a fully boxed frame, not a C-frame. Crawl under and look. Avoid
air-suspensions. Make sure the hitch receiver is rated for the trailer
weight as well as having a comfortable margin on the tongue weight.
Don't exceed 75% of the rated towing capacity of the tow vehicle, and
deduct a full gas tank, full load of passengers, and any stuff in the
rear of the tow vehicle from the stated towing capacity. Then add a few
extra pounds over the max weight for the fully loaded trailer, and go
from there. Do get yourself a Hensley hitch, and a proportional brake
controller. Make sure you have a proper rear-end gear ratio, and enough
horsepower. Maybe a transmission cooler if needed.

I don't want to scare you, but I do want to make you consider all of
your options.

Towing when done right is such a pleasure. When you have a rig fighting
you white-knuckle all the way, its no fun, you won't enjoy the trips.

Rick Kunath