Re: [A/S] water heater trouble

> The water heater pilot lights, though with a large yellow flame. The
> main burner lights, and burns properly for a few minutes, then suddenly
> there's an audible click and both go out. I am suspecting the pilot
> light/thermocouple, but I don't know how to adjust/diagnose them. There
> was quite a bit of soot above the pilot (which I've cleaned).

The pilot has some debris in it- if you look closely at the pilot burner, you
can see a small hole on the right hand side- this lets air in to burn
correctly. If much debris- or a spider web- obstructs this (or the pilot
burner tube), the flame will be large and yellow, and the main burner will
pull the pilot flame off of the thermocouple, shutting the valve off.
You basically just need to clean (or replace) the pilot assembly- though first
I would try blowing compressed air into the side hole on the pilot assembly.

--
Chris Bryant