RE: [A/S] boondocking in the snow

> Joe, thanks for your reply - and great suggestions.  Can you tell me
> how much the Optima batteries were, and a recommended place to buy
> them?  Also, we're interested in adding a solar panel - any
> suggestions as to where and how much$$?

Hi Erika,
I purchased my Optima Batteries at "Batteries Plus" which is a nation wide
chain for batteries of all kinds. I would replace them with a brand name
called "Lifeline" also sold by Batteries Plus here in Wilmington, NC. The
Lifeline batteries were developed for the military, and are shaped more like
a conventional battery. The Optima batteries look like a big 6 pack, as the
cells are round, and when 6 of them are put together to make the battery it
looks like a 6 pack with a lid on top. The Lifeline batteries look pretty
much like any other battery. Both brand names are based on the AGM
Technology, which is made by soaking a fiberglass mat with the electrolyte
and sandwiching it between the lead plates in the battery. This produces a
battery that has lots of advantages over a liquid filled battery both from a
technical stand point as well as being non vented so they can be mounted any
place without putting off dangerous gasses as they work. The AGM technology
is used by other brand name battery companies. The two I mentioned are just
the two I am familiar with, and have been using AGM technology from its
beginning. The down side of AGM technology is the cost of the batteries. You
can expect to pay around $150 for the size battery you will need for your
trailer, but they should last 3 or 4 times longer than a regular battery.
As for the solar panel, I had mine installed by the local RV dealer (not an
Airstream dealer) in the spring 2001, when I realized my batteries would
have very short life, because of storage in an area with no shore power to
keep them charged. As I recall, the 50 watt "Semen's" brand panel and a 350
watt controller, that can handle 300 more watts of panels if I decide to add
more, cost me about $700 installed. I put the two Optima batteries in just
after I got the solar system installed, and everything is still working
great with zero maintenance on my part. My trailer stays in a storage lot
about 6 months out of the year, and we travel in it the other 6 months. We
do lots of Airstream Caravans, some of which require stops with no power for
a day or two at times. The setup I have has worked very well for this type
of use of the trailer.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624
34' Limited FK