Re: [A/S] Ford Ranger pull a 19' Safari Bambi?

> Can my 2001 Ford Ranger with a 4.0 liter, V-6 SOHO engine safely and
> adequately pull a 2006 19'Airstream Safari Bambi that has a UBW of
> 3,680 lbs. and a GVWR of 4,500 lbs.?  My Ranger has a GVWR of 5020
> lbs. and a rear GAWR of 2750 lbs. I read that the maximun trailer
> weight rating for this Ranger is 5885 lbs.  I expect to take the Bambi
> on trips from the California coast to the mountains and deserts. If
> the Ranger is inadequate what Ford or Toyota truck would do the job?
> If the Ranger is adequate, what do I need to do to get it ready for
> the job? Thank you!

You didn't say which Ranger model you have?

I've had a bunch of Rangers over the years, and some were more suited to
trailering than others. If you have an FX4 Level 2 then you have the
4:10 rear end gear ratio, which helps a lot. Either way, the 4.0 Liter
engine is a bit underpowered for any mountainous terrain. Is this a
stick or an automatic? And is it the 5-speed auto?

The New Tacoma has a higher horsepower rating than the Rangers do, but
there have been frame concerns that I haven't seen resolved yet with
this model.

The Tundra double-cab wheelbase is only 2 inches longer than a Ranger
Super Cab. Not enough to make much difference. The Ranger only has 207
HP, and the Tacoma (which I have owned a few of over the years) beats it
there, the Tundra way beats it with it's V8 power. And that makes a real
difference in hilly and mountanous terrain. Either way, get a proper hitch.

I've basically given up the idea of towing anything larger than a
vintage Bambi (the old really small models) with the Ranger, and will be
replacing the lineup with something else fairly soon. I had hoped the
FX4 Level 2 would have given me off-road performance and towing
capabilities too, but not for any current Airstream models.

As for suggested Toyota models, definitely go with the Tundra if you go
Toyota. For Ford you can't beat the F-150 (or even a 250, but you really
don't need the 250) for your suggested trailer size. The Ford is a lot
more bulletproof truck, but the Tundra is no slouch. Were it me, I'd opt
for the F-150, but you couldn't lose either way.

You didn't say whether you were looking for on-road only use or were
planning some off-road use too?

I'll have the chance to test the new upcoming H3 V8 (w/Adventure
package) hopefully this summer (if GM is on-schedule with the upgrade),
and will be looking at that with an eye toward setting up a possible
19-foot trailer rig with good on and off-road performance.

One of the few good things about SE Michigan is knowing the right people
and having the access to the various manufacturers and their vehicle
testing facilities and design folks.

Keep in mind that you need to subtract truck load weight from the towing
GVWR figure. So take out a full gas tank, passenger weights, anything
you'll be carrying in the truck or the truck bed, and go from there.
Even without figuring these things, you're on the edge. Figuring them, I
think you'll see you're way under gunned with the Ranger and a
19-footer, particularly if you have to traverse mountains.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060