[A/S] RE: traveling with the propane fueled refrigerator on

Yes it is illegal in many states to travel with the refrigerator running on
propane.  Vehicular tunnels often prohibit even carrying propane tanks
through them.

Examples would include the Lincoln and Holland tunnels between New York and
New Jersey, and the lower level approach to the George Washington Bridge.
In the case of the GW bridge, propane tanks are allowed on the upper (open
area) roadway in the center lanes away from the support cables.

Legal or not, traveling with the refrigerator running on propane works fine.
The motion of the trailer negates the need for the refrigerator to be level.

Sometimes government, in my opinion, gets carried away trying to legislate
safety.  There is still no substitute for common sense.  In my college days
(almost 50 years ago) my psychology professor related that there were over
100 documented ways psychotic patients had committed suicide in a padded
cell! So even a rubber room (or a nerf world) isn't safe.  Don't forget that
even water is toxic - if you inhale it!

Having the propane on while fueling, however, is NOT a great idea, as there
is a serious potential for an explosion with the gasoline vapors.  My father
told me of a lecture he attended about fire safety aboard a boat.  The fire
safety speaker told him that a thimble full of gasoline that had been
vaporized (at the ideal air/fuel ratio) had the explosive power of a stick
of dynamite! Bottom line, don't leave the refrigerator or water heater or
furnace running when you fuel up.