Re: [A/S] Mercedes ML 500 and a 34 foot Airstream

Oliver,

 I always enjoy your posts and the bundles of info they contain. I recently
changed tow vehicles replacing
a '91 Dodge/Cummins with a Nissan Titan with a 5.6 liter gas engine of the
"high-rev" variety though it has been detuned for maximum mid-range torque.
What I find towing my '89 29ft Excella (6800lbs) is that
this gas engine is up to the job just fine and will even outperform the
Cummins in most situations if you are willing to use the "high-rev"
capability. Of course since it is normally aspirated it does suffer in the
high mountain passes of the west. Fuel economy is not quite as good as the
Dodge but that margin is not as great as the current price differential
between regular gas and diesel. That and the huge price differential
between the Nissan and a Dodge/Cummins in original purchase price make the
Nissan worth consideration as a tow truck, I am pleased with mine.

Steve and LuLu the Yorky on the Narrows of Lake Travis
'61 Avion Tourist
'89 Airstream Excella
'04 Nissan Titan

Note: Nissan chose not to use the variable valve timing of the Q-45 version
of the engine in the Titan.